lundi 24 septembre 2007

Sweaters, closets and sidewalks




Yesterday (Sunday) I did some more housework and then went to meet Liz at Le Vieux Port metro station. Sarah New Orleans was there too. I hadn't met her before. I call her Sarah New Orleans to distinguish her from Ohio Sarah. To make matters even more confusing, not only do they have the same first name, but the first middle name too! Anyway, we took all Liz's things to her new appartment. We went on the metro, it wasn't too bad because there were usually escalators. We changed metro lines at Saint Charles to go to National. Then it was 'a couple of blocks' to her appartment where there was 'an elevator'. We actually went into number 8 and knocked on the door of an appartment before realising we were supposed to be at number 6! Oh well, we just took all the stuff back down, next door and then back up again! Liz's flatmate Luca seemed really nice. His friends were there (don't ask me to remember their names - there were 4 of them!) We sat talking to them for a while before helping Liz to unpack. I hung some of her skirts in 'the closet', handed her the blue tac, sorry, I mean 'tac' and when I asked her if she wanted any drawing pins I should have said 'thumb tacks'... US dress sizes are odd too although I think I quite like the idea of being a size 6 (US sizes of course!) as for when she told me she had a shoe size of 8 I was amazed until I learnt that it was the equivalent of a Euro size 38 which is infact a UK size 5!! So not only am I improving my french but I'm learning American too! After Liz had unpacked we walked back to the town centre. We got a drink and then bought some bread and cheese before coming back to mine. We ate the bread and cheese - the bread was still warm, hmm, delicious! New Orleans Sarah used my internet to look on appartager.com. She's still looking for somewhere to live. After, we walked towards La Joliette but the address of the appartment was weird - 'boulevard vingt cinq' - it doesn't seem to exist. She's going to look at it today (Monday) at 20h but needs to ring up for directions first. After that we headed back to Le Vieux Port to meet up with Ohio Sarah and then later Andrew. They're all American. It's quite interesting. What I would call a 'purse' they refer to as a 'wallet'. What I would call a bag (as in a hand bag) they would call a 'purse'!! And a 'jumper' is a 'sweater'. To them, a jumper is a long sleeveless dress! Oh yeah and 'shall we walk on the pavement?' 'The what?!' 'The pavement.' 'Oh, you mean the sidewalk!' It's funny. When I got home I had a shower and spend some time talking to Auriane. You know, french driving tests are weird. When you take your test there are 3 other people (as well as you) in the car. There is the examiner, your instructor and another pupil. It seems one pupil goes first and then the second. The exam lasts 35 minutes and you have to do 3 manouevres. The same as in England except there is no left reverse - they do something different instead, I think it might be bay parking but don't quote me on that one!