dimanche 9 mars 2008

Walking with Christiane and Les Restos du Coeur

Above - Marseille - can you spot Notre Dame de la Garde??

Above - where we went walking.


Above - Christiane admiring the view.

Above - a rock. Above - the landscape.

Above - the rocks by Aix.

Above - the view.

Saturday morning I got up and prepared my lunch before leaving to go to Metro Saint Just for 10h30. I met Christiane - a teacher from Lycee, and we drove north, out of Marseille through Allauch and Plan-de-Cuques and into the hills to go walking near Mimet. It was really pretty. We could see 'Saint Victor' which is an area of rocks near Aix. And as we walked we could see Marseille in the distance. It was a bit misty but you could see Notre Dame de la Garde in the distance. We stopped at the highest point of our walk and ate our sandwiches before continuing a bit and then turning around and coming back. We then drove back to Marseille and she took me back to Saint Just where I got the metro and came home. I had a couple of hours before I had to get the bus - I was volunteering with Les Restos du Coeur. I arrived at L'Estaque at about 18h45 and we began preparing the 80 bags of food. One yoghurt, three small packets of spreadable cheese, two biscuits, two squares of chocolate and some bread in each bag with either a tin of sardines, tuna, pate. There was no fruit today. We left l'Estaque and started our usual route. There were five of us tonight - Stephen, Lauriane, Nadine, Suzanne and me. We went to the market et Madrague by La rue de Lyon in the 16ieme arrondissement and then along La rue de Lyon towards rue Roger Salengro in the 3ieme arrondissement. We stopped at two boulangeries to pick up warm bread and quiche - basically they give us what they haven't sold at the end of the day as they'll be closed tomorrow. We stopped at Bougainville, Joliette, Le Panier, Vieux Port, the town hall. I'm getting to recognise the people now and they recognise me too. There was a lady at Vieux Port with a suitcase, she was italian and her french wasn't very good. She refused to allow us to call the Samu Social. When we stopped at Bougainville there were lots of gypsies and tens and tens of children. It was quite a busy night, we only just had enough bags of food. We went all around the 15ieme, 3ieme and 2ieme arrondissements and to the gardens by Vieux Port in the 1iere and 7ieme arrondissements. It was a good night, a busy night and I liked the volunteers. There was one man complaining because we didn't have any jeans to fit him and he hasn't changed his trousers for over a week. There was another man wanting a blanket because he was cold and already had a bad throat because of the cold. I didn't think it was that cold last night, not in comparison to the other times I've been out. But I guess if you're out in the open all the time it's cold. There were lots of people at Joliette. We stopped at exactly the spot where I'd take the bus from earlier that evening. We also saw Daniel at Bougainville, Jean Claude, Ricardo, and the man who lives in the van as well as the young girl I remember from last time, oh, and the two ladies at Bougainville. I enjoyed it. We're going out again as a team in two weeks time.