mercredi 26 novembre 2008

From coast to country and back again

Above and below - the highlight of the weekend - definitely feeding the ducks.



Above - the beautiful Shropshire countryside.


Above - Poochy.


Last weekend at 9h21 I could be found boarding the 0921 cross country service from Brighton to Birmingham New Street. Originally I was planning to get off at Reading at 11h37 and change to the 1211 great western service to Swansea. I sat in my reserved seat on the first train of the day reading the newspaper and doing the sudoku. I changed at Reading. I alighted (train speak for 'got off') at Newport and changed to an arriva trains wales service to Manchester Piccadilly. I got off at Ludlow only to discover it to be significantly colder than it had been in Brighton. I was left to stand out in the cold for a whole 10 minutes as my lift was late. When I got home I didn't remove my jacket, instead I added more layers in a bid to get warm. After unpacking and consuming a cup of tea that someone else had made for me (one of home's little luxuries) I was sent out in the sub-zero temperatures and the dark armed with a torch to walk the dog. It would appear you didn't get a cup of tea made for you for nothing! The guests arrived. We ate. There was cake.

On Saturday we all (there were 7 of us excluding the dog) went to Garden Lands for a potter. A cold potter. A vest, top, cardigan, jacket and coat were far from sufficient in these northern parts. I bought the dog an advent calendar. We had lunch - the world's longest-to-prepare panini - I could have popped over to Italy and had one and it would have been quicker. In the evening we were off out for a meal at The Swan in Munslow. Or so we thought. The table had been booked a couple of weeks ago however when we turned up we were informed that there was 'no food'. Yes, I thought it was a wind up too but no, there really was no food. The Swan is closing shortly so they had run down what food they had and hadn't bought any more. Nobody however bothered to ring us to tell us that there would be no food. They didn't have our number they said. So, on a Saturday evening at 19h who is going to be in a position to cater for 7 hungry mouths? We didn't think we stood much chance, particularly with a fussy vegetarian in our midst (that's me). But we were lucky. The Cliffe in Ludlow could squeeze us in and very grateful we were too. When we arrived I looked at the menu - a quick glance revealed it was very much what I'd gotten used to in France - just the one vegetarian option. It looked like I would be having asparagus soup to start followed by caremelised red onion and goats cheese tartlets. The fact I'm not a fan of caramelised onion or goats cheese would have to be put to one side - it was better than a leg of lamb. But no, when I asked the waiter if there were any other vegetarian options he produced a whole menu of the things! Talk about being prepared! I was impressed. So impressed and spoilt for choice I was very nearly unable to cope. Eventually however I chose the broccoli, potato and cheese bake. I stuck with my asparagus soup. And delicious it was too. I even ventured into the territory that was desert - treacle sponge and custard. After the meal (and I'd recommend anyone go to The Cliffe Hotel and Restaurant in Ludlow) we ventured out into the carpark where the cars where topped with frost - proof if ever you needed it that it was arctic-like.

On Sunday, still full up from the meal on Saturday, we ventured to Burford House. We wandered round. We had coffee in the café. I bought duck food to feed the ducks. It rained rather heavily. It was cold. But enjoyable all the same. I even got to feed the ducks after the rain had passed. After Burford house we went home and, at around 17h, ate. Yes, more food.

And there was the weekend gone. It was soon Monday morning and I was having to board a train - the 0920 arriva trains wales service to Carmarthen. I got off at Reading and hopped along to Paddington where I took the pink line to Farringdon and then dropped down to Brighton. I made incredibly good time. I was back for 14h30.
I had a seminar at 16h and then had to go to Tesco to stock up on food. Only another 4 weeks of term remain and in 4 weeks time I'll be home. For a little while anyway.