mercredi 15 avril 2009

From Faro to Lisbon - by bus.

Above - The youth hostel in Faro where the four nationality breakfast took place.

Above - The youth hostel in Faro from the outside.

Above - the caged birds in the garden next to the hostel in Faro.


I had breakfast on the Wednesday morning with a Canadian, a French person and a German - it was a four nationality breakfast! Before checking out I went into the gardens next door to the hostel for a walk around. There are caged birds in the gardens - apparently they're caged for their own protection... I checked out of the youth hostel at around 9h30 and made my way to the bus station where I bought my ticket to Lisbon. The bus wasn't until 11h so I sat by the harbour writing about what I'd seen and done so far. At 11h I got on the bus. It took us three hours to get to Lisbon and as we entered we had to cross the river Tejo (Tagus) by a 17km bridge that I later learnt is the second longest in Europe and takes 12 minutes to cross. When I arrived I got the metro to the station nearest to the hostel where I was to be staying and followed my directions to the hostel. The weather was warm and sunny but the hostel was easy to find and only about a three minute walk from the metro station. I spent the afternoon planning what I wanted to see and do in Lisbon as well as just popping out to buy some food from a nearby store. The hostel was more luxurious than the one in Faro but the people didn't seem as friendly.