mercredi 15 avril 2009

Portugal - Faro

Above - The beach.
Above - Looking towards the marshlands.

Above - Faro's harbour.

Above - The bone chapel.

Above - The bone chapel.

Above - The beach.

Above - Faro's harbour.
The next morning I had breakfast with Cecilia who works for Crawly Social Services. She was really interesting to talk to. The Youth hostel breakfast was two bread rolls, two slices of cheese, jam, butter, a hot drink and fruit juice. After breakfast I walked to the bus stop near to where I had gotten off the bus the day before. I took the number 16 to the beach. I had had to ask someone who looked like he worked for the bus depot where I could get the number 16 bus from. I asked him ‘Falo Ingles?’ and he shook his head and said ‘Falo Fran…’ so I asked him in French and he told me the bus stop was just opposite. I got on the bus and went to the beach. To get to the beach we had to cross the marshland bit.

I spent the morning walking up and down the beach – just miles and miles of golden sand, yellow sunshine and enormous shells. Or at least enormous when you’ve spent your life on the beaches of North Wales… I think it was because it was out of season that there were not many people – I had the beach to myself. I ate lunch at the beach too.

In the afternoon I went to the Maritime museum and the museum of Faro. I also walked again around the old part of Faro and realised I can say ‘Town Hall’ in four language – Town Hall, Le Marie, RatHaus and Camara Municipal. I wonder what the Spanish is…? I also went to the two churches that the lady in the tourist information centre has recommended to me. At one of them there was a bone chapel and right next door a post office where I bought five stamps for my postcards. I walked around the pedestrianised shopping part and enquired about bus times to Lisbon for the next day. I then made my way back to the Youth Hostel where there were new people in the room – Holly from Lyon in France and Mika from Germany. We sat and drank tea and ate scones and a Spanish cake of some description that Holly had brought with her from her time in Spain.