jeudi 8 juillet 2010

Austria - Day 3, the last of Vienna

Above - Karlskirche at Karlsplatz

Above - another statue, this time it's Strauss rather than Mozart

Above - Gloriette in Schonbrunn Palace grounds

Above - looking back down towards Schonbrunn Palace from Gloriette

Above - looking through the waterfall towards Schonbrunn Palace

Above - Schonbrunn Palace and gardens
On Saturday I went back to Schonbrunn where I had first come to visit the zoo. This time I wanted to walk around the gardens and go in the palace. Schonbrunn was out of the centre of Vienna slightly but within easy walking distance of where I was staying. The Palace was very grand - like a stately home. The gardens were grand and impressive too. And there was a beautiful fountain and then a hill with a monument (Gloriette) on the top of that gave good views back down towards the Palace. The weather was very hot with the sun burning down, it was exhausting. As I was walking to the top of the hill I stopped at the fountain to take a photo looking back down towards the Palace. I had to wait an age to take that photo - there were so many tourists all wanting to stand by the fountain and have their photo taken. I swear the Korean/Japanese/Chinese tourists are the worst. They photograph everything - they're worse than me. Snap, snap, snap - do they even look at what they're photographing?!

In the afternoon I took the metro to Karlskirche (Karl's Church) and also to the Stadtpark. I then walked back towards St. Stephen's Cathedral and via the Hofburg stopping off to watch the second half of the football - Germany v Argentina, before going back to the hostel. Another exhaustingly hot day in Vienna but I had seen everything I wanted to see. I was ready to move on now to Salzburg.