samedi 10 juillet 2010

Austria - Day 4, Salzburg

Above - Strawberry Youth Hostel where I stayed in Salzburg

Above - the view from the hostel along the banks of the river Salzach

On Sunday I got up and headed into the centre of Vienna for breakfast before returning to the hostel for my suitcase and heading to the train station. I bought a ticket and got the 11h45 train to Salzburg. The train was so hot - there were no windows nor air conditioning! It was the type of train that has a passage way down one side and then compartments with doors. I don't they such trains exist in England. It was so stifling hot I thought I was going to melt! And I had to sit there roasting for 3 hours all the way to Salzburg! When we finally arrived and I got off the train I couldn't tell you whether it was actually any cooler or whether just the moving air made it feel fresher. Salzburg train station, like Vienna's, was under going restauration and, like in Vienna, it took me an age to orientate myself and head off in the right direction to the hostel. It was only a short walk - the hostel was situated on the banks of the river and you could see the hills in the distance. Already I was finding Salzburg an improvement on Vienna. I'd also decided it was cooler too, although still warm there was a refreshing breeze and the odd cloud too.




After checking in at the hostel I headed along the river into Salzburg for something to eat. I stopped at a restaurant where I read my guide book and planned what there was to see and do over the next two days. I ate a spinach and ricotta calzone with tiramasu for desert.