samedi 10 juillet 2010

Austria - Day 5, more Salzburg

Above - the stormy rain clouds hanging over the hills

Above - Mozart's home, now a museum

Above - the view from the top of the castle over Salzburg

Above - looking up to the castle

Above - the view over Salzburg from the castle

Above - looking towards the hills from the castle

Above - Getreidegasse

On Monday I ate breakfast at the hostel. The breakfast at this hostel was better than the breakfast at the hostel in Vienna as it was buffet style so you could choose what you wanted as opposed to be given a set plate of food. There was also more choice. I had two bread rolls with cheese and tomato, orange juice and coffee. Delicious.

After breakfast I had to change my sandals for socks and shoes as it was raining! It was still humid and warm but wet. Out came the umbrella again - this time to shelter me from the rain as opposed to shade me from the sun. I decided that I would begin my tour of Salburg with one of the two Mozart museums seeing as it was raining. I walked along the river and crossed at the bridge to the museum that was easy enough to find. Salzburg has two Mozart museums - one in the house where Mozart was born and lived with his family and a second in the second house of Mozart that he moved into with his family later in his life when the other house was considered too small. Inside the museum were pianos and violins belonging to Mozart as well as photos and originally manuscripts of his compositions. There was an audio guide which told you about Mozart, his life and his family as well as his travels around Europe. After the Mozart museum I crossed back to the other side of the river with the intention of heading to the second Mozart museum however the rain was so heavy I went into a coffee shop for coffee and apple strudel. The rain eventually stopped however it kept rumbling with thunder. After the coffee and apple strudel I continued to explore and walked along Getreidegasse - a main street with lots of shops each with metal signs handing out into the street. I visited the Glockenspiel, Rathaus and Cathedral. In the afternoon the weather had brightened and I decided to head up to the castle - Hohensalzburg. I walked to the top but there was also a cable car. The castle was situated on top of a hill and had a museum of army related items as well as beautiful views over Salzburg. I spent the rest of the afternoon in and around the castle.