lundi 30 juin 2008

From Gatwick to Dresden

Above - the kitchen.
Above - the kitchen - complete with oven!! Luxurious!!

Above - my room in the Jesus Haus.

Above - my room in the Jesus Haus.


Above - the view out of my window.



Above - the view out of the window.


Above - the kitchen.

I left Amanda’s at 8h45 on Saturday morning. I took a train from Hove to Brighton and then changed to go to Gatwick Airport. When I got the airport I took the transfer train from the south terminal to the north terminal. I then checked in. My case weighed in at 14.7kg – considerably light by comparison to what it had weighed the last time I’d been at Gatwick! I went through the hand luggage scanning and had to remove my shoes. By this time it was about 11h. The flight was due to take off at 12h10. I went to see whether a gate had been displayed yet but what it actually said was ‘delayed until 13h30’. Grand. I had plenty of time to become acquainted with Gatwick Airport! Thankfully there are quite a few shops. I bought a newspaper and a hot chocolate and the time soon passed. Eventually a gate was displayed and we were allowed to go through to the departure lounge. By the time we took off it was 14h. Apparently the delay had been due to the flight previously being late and the flight before that also being late. Anyway I arrived in Dresden and Heidi, the girl I’m going to work for, was there to meet me. She was parked outside and was with Renée, her flat mate and Jenny and Jannik – both German, who had been living in England and would be doing the food for the students coming to study on the Intensive English Course. We drove back to Herrnhut which took about an hour. By the time we arrived it was about 18h. Heidi showed me around and took me to my room. It’s quite a big room which is bright and it’s so quiet. She’d put a welcome note on the bed and a bowl of fruit and some chocolate too! And then there’s a kitchen which I’m sharing with the other people on my corridor, including Jenny and Jannik, but as we eat with the students and meals are prepared I won’t need to do a lot of cooking. In the evening I unpacked and relaxed. My first impressions of Germany were that it’s green like England but that it’s clean and the houses in Herrnhut are a bit like how I think I expected Switzerland to be – perfect and well, you’ll have to look at the pictures – it’s quite hard to explain!