lundi 30 juin 2008

Sonntag

Above - The view over Herrnhut with Poland in the distance.


Above - the view over Herrnhut and another town with the Czech Republic in the distance.


Above - a typical building in Herrnhut.


Above - a statue of Zizendorf in Herrnhut - he was a very important man in the town's history.


Above - the Jesus Haus where I'm living and working in Herrnhut.

I got up this morning at about 8h and had breakfast with Jenny and Jannik. I then went to the church service with them and Heidi and Renée and a lot of other people too. It was really interesting. Obviously it was all in German but because it’s so international here there’s an English translation. There was a lot of singing and the sermon was excellently delivered, it was funny and everyone was so relaxed and friendly. Afterwards there was coffee and cake which, apparently, happens once a month. That lasted until about midday and then I helped Heidi prepare lunch. We were going to eat outside. There were 9 of us – Heidi and her two flat mates, Jannik and Jenny, Tanya who is Ukrainian and a few other people too. We had potatoes, green beans, broccoli and sausages, except I had an egg instead of the sausages. Afterwards Tanya washed and I dried. And now, it’s the afternoon and I’m waiting to go around Herrnhut with Jenny and Jannik.

We left at 16h and went with a lady who was a complete expert on the area around Herrnhut. Jenny translated it all into English for me. We went up to a tower with a view over the area. You could see the Czech Republic and Poland in the distance because we are so close to the border. We walked around and learnt about the area and then we had a tour of the Jesus Haus where I’m staying which included learning about the plans for its future. Afterwards me and Heidi talked about the teaching which begins tomorrow and then everyone went to watch the football – the Euro 2008 Final between Germany and Spain. As I was in Germany I felt I should be supporting Germany but to be honest I really wanted Spain to win and they did! Yay! After the match I came back and went to bed.