vendredi 25 juillet 2008

Stepping into the unknown

After having been back in the country for precisely a week I am off to my third location. The first was Brighton, the second Ludlow and the third will be Bournemouth. I remember, somewhere around March or April time, I decided it would be a good idea to apply for a job to earn some money in the summer. I applied for several jobs, some got back to me and arranged an interview but, as I wasn't available until the end of July, they weren't interested. They still interviewed me mind even though I'd written in my cover letter that I wasn't available until the end of July! Goes to show how carefully they read the application. I had an offer of part time work in Bristol and then an offer of full time work in Bournemouth. It was the latter that I accepted. And so off I go to Bournemouth for the summer. Seaside resort and, according to a recent survey, the happiest place in Britain. Well, it'll make a change from the slowest place in Britain as I do believe Ludlow was voted not that long ago.

Saturday morning, 10h20, Ludlow train station. On platform 2 could be seen a girl with a rather large suitcase, a bright rucksack and a handbag waiting to board the train to Milford Haven. She got off after an hour and a quarter at Newport to change trains taking the Portsmouth Harbour train, which was like an oven, but getting off at Southampton Central. She then took the Weymouth train to Bournemouth arriving on time at 15h to be met by the Principal of the Language College where she's going to be working.

the principal took me to my accommodation, which is about a 20 minute walk from the Language College. After I'd unpacked I went shopping as although the accommodation was fully furnished it lacked food. I was spoilt for choice when it came to supermarkets. I originally wanted to go to the Asda I'd seen by the station but it would have involved a taxi, so I opted for Lidl and Waitrose which are both about a 3 minute walk from the accommodation.

The accommodation is situated in Winton and is like an appartment - it's in a house which has been converted into flats. There are 3 double bedrooms, a bathroom with both a bath and a shower, a fully equipped kitchen (yes, there's an oven, a microwave, a fridge, a freezer and a washing machine!) and a lounge with a tv and a reclining green leather armchair. There's also a 3 seater sofa and a 2 seater sofa - both green leather to match the armchair. There's a dining room and hallway. And all of this to myself as there's no one else in the appartment at the minute. It all feels rather big and empty for just one person.