dimanche 3 février 2008

L'Estaque

Above - L'eglise a L'Estaque
Above - Le port a L'Estaque

Above - Le port a L'Estaque


Above - La Folle Epoque a la Prefecture




Above - ooh the irony. The resting place of one Marseille's many sans abris in the poshest part of town - Prado.



Above - Le Stade Velodrome - home of OM


I met Louise at 10h45 at Noailles. We went to Rond Point to the 'OM Boutique'. We were in there quite a while looking round. You name it, they make it. You could literally kit your house out with OM merchandise. Not only are there the usual scalfes, gloves, hats, t shirts, shorts and jumpers. There is also an OM keyboard, mouse, mousemat, pencil case, pen pot, rular, fountain pen, jewellery, dressing gown, slippers, cushion, baby clothes, underwear, jackets, mugs, glasses, soap, toiletries - yes! There really is EVERYTHING! After the OM boutique we went to La Folle Epoque for a hot chocolate and to discuss what we were going to do in the afternoon. I really wanted to go to L'Estaque - it's the northern most part of Marseille. I'd heard it was pretty and had inspired the impressionist painters. I'd also done a bit of research and read that there were two speciality foods - panisses - fried chick pea fritters (which my students at Lycee had told me about) and chichi - a doughnut type thing. I'd never seen them in parts of Marseille I'd been to. We sat in La Folle Epoque reading out tourist books and decided we'd meet Aimee at Reformes tram way at 14h30 to go to Joliette to get the bus to L'Estaque. We went in Virgin en route and I bought a book - 'Reviens moi' (of the film I saw the other night). We also went in two more OM shops - they are everywhere, and Louise bought an OM scalf as she is going to watch OM play Monaco at Le Stade Velodrome on Sunday evening. We then went to Reformes and took the tram to Joliette where we got the bus to L'Estaque. It was like we'd left Marseille. It felt like we were on holiday somewhere. We walked around, went in a few shops and then got a coffee. Afterwards we sampled the Panisse and Chichi - both delicious. We walked up to the church and around some more before getting the bus back to Joliette. We walked to mine and had a cup of tea and something to eat before going to Monoprix. I did my shopping as did Aimee. I then came home as did Aimee and Louise went to a soiree of one of the teachers from her school. I was going to go too but I was too tired. I went home, showered and slept. It had been a really good day.