vendredi 30 novembre 2007

5 metros, 3 trams and 2 buses later... oh and 2 car journies too!

This morning I got up at 8h and left at 9h to allow myself plenty of time to get to Le Resto du Coeur. I took the tram two stops to La Joliette and the found the bus number 35 really easily. It was parked near to the tram stop. I'd been concerned I wouldn't be able to find the stop but I did. I got on and sat down - it wasn't busy at all. Some kind person had left behind today's Marseille Plus so I read that until the bus started moving. Then I got out my list of stops that I'd copied down from the internet and watched them pass by. I therefore would know when to press the bell and get off. I was really proud to not only have found the bus but that I also managed to get off at the right stop. When I got off I wondered whether I was in the right place because it was a main road and there wasn't much around apart from a few industrial like buildings, oh and a newsagents. I went in the newsagents and asked where Le Resto du Coeur was. It was literally next door. I went in and saw that it was only 9h40, I was a bit early, like 20 minutes early! I sat and waited. It was a small desk at the front of what looked to be a big warehouse. There were lots of people coming ang going and everyone kept saying 'bonjour' and fairing la bise. After about 10 minutes someone came to fetch me and she took me to her office. I filled in a form with my name and address and we discussed when I could volunteer. I explained that I was writing a dissertation about les sans abris and that was partly why I wanted to volunteer. She said being able to speak English would help as some of les sans abris are polish for example. I said I found it strange that so much money was being spent to improve Marseille buy yet there remains so many sans abris, she told me that some of them refuse to allow themselves to be intergrated into society and that they are les vrais sans abris. She said I would see when I start volunteering. I said I would prefer to do le Maraude but she said this is the most popular. I said I would also like to see the bus, she said this would be possible as there is a shortage of people to work on the bus. She said she'd call me after having spoken to the person who runs le Maraude and the bus. When I left I had a text on my phone from Rachel asking whether I wanted to meet at 'rome point' at 11h30 for a coffee. I text her back asking where she wanted to meet and she said 'near to the metro'. I nearly text her back asking which metro but I just thought, oh no, it'll be vieux port like always. So I took the bus back to La Joliette and then walked home. At 11h20 I left for Vieux Port but when I got there I thought that she would be working, I re read her text and suddenly realised that 'rome point' was supposed to have been 'rond point' and therefore I was at the wrong metro stop! Ha! I called her to see where she was, she was on the bus inbetween her Lycee and Rond Point. I explained how her text had said 'rome point', predictive text messaging has it's disadvantages it would seem. I got on the metro at vieux port and changed at saint charles to go to rond point and met her in the cafe as usual. After the coffee I took the metro back to La Joliette and then got on the tram to les caillols to go to the supermarket. It's much further than galeries lafeyette but it's less far to walk (as the tram stops right outside the supermarket and right outside le passage de lorette) and it's cheaper. I did my shopping and came home and had a late lunch. I then worked on my pedagogic report researching the french education system. Later on I went to my cours de conversation, you know, the one where I was forgotten last week! This week she was there to pick me up and yes, she did pay me for last week too as it was her who forgot me. I did the bonfire lesson with Dorrean tonight. His English may be good but he finds it really hard to understand. I think we need to do more oral comprehension. He's asked me to go through a piece of work with him next week that he got a bad mark in. After the cours de conversation I had dinner with Christiane and one of her neighbours and her neighbour's two sons. We ate quiche that was delicious and rice with vegetables. Then there were cakes and bread and cheese. It was yummy. After that I left, Christiane took me back to the metro and I came home.