mercredi 3 octobre 2007

Laugh until you cry

This morning I went to my school. I met 2 more classes. It was basically the same as yesterday. I had to introduce myself to them and then they got to ask me questions. I sat in on the rest of one lesson where they were looking at a scene from the film Bend it Like Beckham. I went to see the paperwork lady and sorted out all my paperwork. I'm quite relieved to have got it all out of the way. I still maintain that it is all totally ridiculous. I left the school at lunchtime and went home for lunch - yes! I wanted to avoid another french school dinner experience! On my way home I stopped at the metro office to get a metro pass. I had all my paperwork, it was going to be simple, right? Wrong. I went in and filled the form out. I handed the man the photocopy of my passport, my proof of address, my RIB and my passport sized photograph. He told me that I couldn't set up a prelevement automatique for 30 euros a month. What?! Auriane had done it the day before so I knew it was possible. A woman appeared and asked whether I had a french passport. I said no, British. She said I couldn't use that. I asked what I needed. She said a french passport, French carte d'identite or a Carte de Sejour. I know 100% that she is wrong! I am European. Europeans do not need a Carte de Sejour. I reached into my bag and produced some paperwork the British Council had sent me. I showed her. I even translated it for her as it was in English. It says that BY LAW European citizens do not require a Carte de Sejour and that a European Passport will suffice. She was having none of it. So I couldn't get my metro card. GRR. I was not impressed. I swear she was being deliberately awkward. I intend to try another metro station. Rachel text me to ask if I minded going to look at appartments with her, she didn't want to go on her own. I met her at Le Vieux Port at 15h30 and we headed towards La Joliette where the first appartment was. We were walking down the side of the Vieux Port and I suddenly wondered where we were going! This was not the way to La Joliette! We made a right turn and I navigated our way through Le Panier out onto La Rue de la Republique and left towards La Joliette. It was a bit of a long way round but nevermind. When we got to La Joliette it took us a while to find the appartment. When we did the landlord came to meet us. It was right next to the motorway thingy on a not-too-nice road. The appartment was also on what felt like the millionth floor with no lift. It had a good view over the Ports though. It was in a weird location, it was all closed in. A bit like Le Passage Lorette. Rat heaven at night I imagine. We decided we didn't much like it so, quite disheartened, navigated our way back through Le Panier to La Canabiere where we looked for bus 41... which, it turns out, doesn't exist. What we actually needed was bus 81! We got on the bus but of course didn't know when to get off of it! It was only by chance that I saw the bus stop sign and realised that this was the stop we needed so off we hopped. The appartment was quite nice, trouble was it's such a hike to get to the 8e arr which is where her school is. She would have to go into the centre of Marseille and out the other side. It was not realistic. Shame as the appartment was ok. We got back on the bus and went for something to eat. I think we sat down to eat at about 18h30. We had the set menu - main course and dessert. I had a pizza and creme brulee which, I have to say, I really enjoyed, but then again, I was kind of hungry. We were there for ages, infact we were there for so long that by the time we left the metro was closed. It closes at 21h, it was about 21h30 when we left. How we had managed to spend the best part of 3hrs in a restaurant is still beyond me, but we did. We looked at the bus times because Rachel needed to get back to the 8e arr where she is staying. She usually takes the metro and then a bus... It was not going to be possible. It was, quite possibly, the most hilarious thing ever. It all started with a cheese pizza... writing about it now it doesn't seem that funny but at the time we couldn't stop laughing. We were in tears. Hysterics. I told her she could stay at mine. I mean, I couldn't leave her stranded homeless at Le Vieux Port! We bumped into a few other assistants, alot of who I hadn't met before. Although there was one girl who introduced herself as 'Cat' and I think I kind of freaked her out when I said 'Hunter'. 'Moscow'. She was like 'yeah... how did you know?' I said I was Gill and that we had emailed back and forth a few times. We went home, showered, went to sleep. We had to be up at 7h25 the next morning to get to Gare Saint Charles for La Formation Pedagogique.